National Leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu on Saturday made his first appearance since the shooting incident at Lekki Toll Plaza last Tuesday and the wave of backlash against him.
Tinubu, who spoke to journalists shortly after paying a visit to the Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu said he had taken the criticisms against him in good faith, but said he was in Marina on a fact finding mission.
“I only came here (Marina) to ask him (Sanwo-Olu) one thing. Did you order the military to go to Lekki? That is all I want to know. I will not let this lie lie low,” he said.
Tinubu also lamented the invasion and wanton looting of public and private assets in the state including some companies linked to him.
Tinubu dismissed reports that he had left the country in the wake of the Lekki shooting as reported on many social media platforms.
Tinubu had come under fire in the last few days over the Lekki incident as rampaging hoodlums burnt down investment reportedly linked with him including a television station, a newspaper house as well as assets of the Lekki Concession Company, the managers of the toll gate.
Commenting on the level of destruction suffered in the state after the Tuesday incident, Tinubu said, “First, we have to segregate the calendar – those who suffered casualty before the protests from the hands of SARS. You have to separate that from those who suffered casualty due to what happened at the toll gate.
“For those who suffered casualty from SARS, I think the Commission of Inquiry that is already set up will unearth that and will make their recommendations. I trust the calibre and the character of the people there, they are independent. That is one.
He said there had been series of fake reports about him, including a purported kidnap of his son, Seyi Tinubu.
Showing Seyi while briefing, Tinubu said he was not shaken by the whole incidents of the last few days adding, “I am still the Asiwaju of Lagos, I am still the Jagaban”.